It is a scene that has changed little since Piero Lorenzetti’s 14th-century depiction of the Tuscan countryside in Siena’s Palazzo Pubblico. Then as now, this harmony is rooted in a ceaseless effort to coax the best out of the land, working hand in hand with nature.
Panzano in Chianti is named in the groundbreaking ‘controlled denomination’ decrees emanated by the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Cosimo III, in 1716, as one of the areas of excellence of what, even then, was a wine of international fame.
Among Philippe Austruy’s very first acts after his acquisition of this storied Panzano in Chianti estate was the appointment of experienced Florentine agronomist Alessandro Fonseca as winery director.
Both returned here to their native Tuscany after formative experiences in other Italian and international winemaking areas, and both are committed to the sustainable methods that are a cornerstone of everything that Tenuta Casenuove and Vignobles Austruy represent.
In all four companion sites, Austruy not only set out to make great wines, but to safeguard and restore the landscape and the property’s traditional architecture, and to work with contemporary artists and galleries to insert sensitive site-specific works of art into the landscape.